Windows Update failed to download an update, Windows 10 support in WSUS

Trying to upgrade your Windows clients to Version 1511 with WSUS? Clients say failed with Error Code 0x80244019? Here’s the fix.


Windows 10 Trehshold 2 (also known as Windows 10 November Update, Build 10586, TH2 or Version 1511) came along and started distributing through Windows Update. Windows Update for Business announced at Microsoft Ignite 2015 in Chicago back in May was supposed to be the solution for enterprises to manage Windows as a Service and how builds and features of the OS are distributed throughout the organization. Unfortunately, “WUB” collapsed and proved to be nothing but a Group Policy setting to control your clients how long they wait before applying the upgrades (Defer Upgrades functionality). See this TechNet article for more details.

At the time of TH2 release Microsoft also released a Hotfix (KB3095113) for Windows Software Update Service (WSUS). It probably will be distributed as a regular update for WSUS in some time frame. If you can’t wait, go ahead and request for the Hotfix. Installation is straightforward and it also fixes Windows 10 machines from presenting themselves as Windows Vista in the WSUS Console.

After installing the Hotfix there should be a new Classification called Upgrades. Check that classification and Windows 10 builds start showing up as updates in your WSUS console.

PLEASE TAKE A NOTE: not installing the Hotfix and checking the Upgrades Classification will corrupt your WSUS database and render the service in an inconsistent state!

The Issue and Error

After approving the new builds for installation I tried the upgrade on my test machines with no luck. Windows Update fails saying Failed to download… Going through Event Logs of Windows Update Client I found the following:

<Event xmlns=”>
    <Provider Name=”Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient Guid=”{945A8954-C147-4ACD-923F-40C45405A658} />
    <TimeCreated SystemTime=”2015-12-14T19:52:14.927958200Z />
    <Correlation ActivityID=”{61209112-3451-0001-BD99-20615134D101} />
    <Execution ProcessID=”384 ThreadID=”7484 />
    <Security UserID=”S-1-5-18 />
    <Data Name=”updateTitle>Upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise, version 1511, 10586</Data>
    <Data Name=”errorCode>0x80244019</Data>
    <Data Name=”updateGuid>XXX</Data>
    <Data Name=”updateRevisionNumber>XXX</Data>

This lead me to the WSUS Server for more information. As it turns out the Hotfix doesn’t fix everything. As for the upgrades the WSUS Server tells the clients to download a file with esd extension, but IIS (aka Microsoft Internet Information Services) doesn’t know what to do with it.

The Solution

MIME Types (aka Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions) to the rescue! The IIS behind the WSUS Service has MIME types which basically tell the server and client what type of content they are dealing with at the time. Looking through the configuration I found that the esd filename extension was nowhere to be found. I added the type as .esd – application/octet-stream, restarted IIS and tried again. The MIME Types can be configured at many levels including Server and Site levels. I added it at the Site level.


This time the download succeeded and the test box was upgraded successfully. Hopefully Microsoft will fix this before generally distributing the Hhotfix as an update for WSUS.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please, do the math and help fight spam * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.